Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Zumba-Shake what your mama gave ya!

Hello all!

Looking forward, next week I finish weaning my son and dive headlong into my new eating plan. :) That, however, doesn't mean I'm resting on my laurels until that time arrives. I've been getting my rear to the gym!

Tonight, I tried a Zumba class offered at my gym. I was supposed to meet my mom there, but she got held up. No worries, I thought, my neighbor said she takes this class too. I arrive late and I know no one. Not the best start for me. For those who don't know, Zumba is a latin-inspired dance class, or so that's how it was described to me. After this first class I have the distinct impression it's just an excuse to shake what your mama gave you. lol They are finishing the warm up as I take my spot. They cranked up the music (and while I like my music loud-ask someone who knows me!-this got my ears ringing) and got to steppin'. It is fun overall. I can tell the steps were latin inspired (I have a fantastic friend who has schooled me in some basic salsa). It is fast-paced, energy-intense, but not overly complicated. Although, if you have two left feet this class is not for you. They say you burn between 400-600 calories. <--Loving this fact right here!

I have to give this disclaimer. I don't know if it was just this particular class tonight or if this is a regular thing, but I felt like there was just a lot of club dancing/booty shaking that had nothing to do with latin dance. By the end of the hour all the "asset" moving began to seem cheap to me. It is my belief that one has to give things a fair chance so I will attend this class a few more times before I pass judgement entirely. Right now, I have my reservations.

Here's something I'm still in process of pondering. Zumba seems to be very popular and the half dozen people I've really talked to about it seem to really like it. Don't get me wrong, there were parts I liked and  a little shimmy-shake hasn't hurt anyone I know! There's a part of me though that says this was too much. There's having fun and doing something for the cardio benefit, but I think you have to draw a line.  This might be that line for me. For those who know me, and have for years, you know that I'm not afraid to take a side that flies in the face of popular opinion. I'll let know my final grade for Zumba near the end of next month. Stay tuned for that.

If you've stayed with me this long then hang in for a little longer. I have to tell you this about myself. I love my body the way it is (but aren't you trying to lose weight & change it? Yes, hang on and wait for it though). I have two beautiful children and a husband who has always made me feel like the most amazing woman in the world whatever size I've been/am. My body has done amazing things. I want to return the favor. I want to have the energy to keep up with two under the age of four. I want to fit back into all the nice clothes I purchased in college currently hanging lonely in my closet. I want to be healthy to see my kids grow up and grow old with my husband. I want to instill good habits (by modeling them!) in my children so they don't have to struggle like I have. I want to empower my family to live the life we love. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I need to treat it with respect and care. God didn't quit when the job was half done in making me. My body is amazing and I want it to live up to its potential. I want the freedom to live each day to its full potential. That, friends, is why I'm embarking with an intense focus on my journey. This is the time in my life that is being set apart for that. Thanks for staying with me and encouraging me.

Last story: Today my daughter made a mess with some packing peanuts. I playfully remarked that she'd made quite a mess! Her response? In all seriousness and hop-to-it-ness--

"I'm on it, Captain! Where's the broom?"

This was completely unexpected and I just had to laugh. Where do they come up with this stuff?

Regards,
R

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rebecca - Jessica (Bryant) Willman here from Psych at Northwestern. I had to die laughing at your first impression of Zumba. I have been checking out classes at my gym and I do have two left feet - I've been thinking about doing that class, but watched during one and thought "I could never do that." Your post made me giggle. I look forward to following you through your journey. Steve and I started our new (healthier) lifestyle about two months ago and found we have more energy and really that we would be able to model to our future children that EVERYTHING that we do should honor God, including what we put into our body. Along with shaping up our eating/exercize routine, we re-evaluated our spiritual health and it has been a great expierience. Along with losing 16lbs (which feels great - can fit into some of my old work clothes), we've grown closer together and towards God...wow - didn't mean for this note to be so long - just wanted to encourage you!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!