Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pat Tillman

Hi y'all,

In keeping with my list and current theme of Veteran's Day and thankfulness I want to bring a man to your attention. His name was Pat Tillman.

Do you know his story? It is good to hear it again if you have. Pat Tillman was an Arizona boy. He excelled in football. He went with his high school team to a championship, then an undefeated season at Arizona State University along with the Rose Bowl in '97 and won many awards. He was then drafted by the AZ Cardinals NFL football team. He played and excelled and became a starter. The United States invaded Afghanistan and he decided to put his thriving football career on hold and enlist. Say WHAT?! You might want to read that again. Go ahead, I will wait.

"Sports embodied many of the qualities I deem meaningful," he said in 2002. "However, these last few years, and especially after recent events, I've come to appreciate just how shallow and insignificant my role is . . . It's no longer important." source


Pat Tillman enlisted in 2002 and lost his life in 2004. I imagine he knew what he was risking. I would even venture a guess that he could appreciate what he was fighting for more than your average joe. He had a successful NFL football career that was still in its early stages. There was a lot left on the field for him. He chose to lay that down and take a up cause he felt was worthwhile and purposeful. Talk about having your priorities questioned!? Some must have thought he was insane and I bet people tried to talk him out of it. Yet, he decided to go. I was not a resident of AZ at that time, nor was I aware of his story, but now, seven years after his death he is still remembered for his extraordinary choice and sacrifice. I have so much respect and gratitude for a man I never knew. It is my plan to run in the Pat Tillman Memorial Run and do the '5K', which is 4.2 miles long (traditionally, for those unawares, a 5K is typically 3.2 miles long). It makes sense to me to go that extra mile. Pat Tillman did.


What do you think of his decision? What would you do in his place? Sound off. I would like to hear your thoughts!
Blessings,
R

1 comment:

  1. Good luck training for the run. Once you get running into your schedule it will all come together.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!