Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Homemade laundry detergent

Hi all,


I have been looking for ways to cut costs here and there and one way I thought I might do that was to make my own laundry detergent! After talking with a few friends who make a lot of their own laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, etc. I decided it was worth the try. If I hated it then I could pass along the stuff I do not use to them. Let me first say that I love my Melaleuca laundry detergent, but it is spendy when I have to use extra because Mr. Fantastic Husband Man has a job that gets his clothes double dirty. So, my friend Morgan over at Becoming Homegrown said her recipe was posted on her blog. I used it and I have to say I am liking the results so far! I am on my second batch of the stuff and we shall see if I continue to love it. That being said a few of my MN peeps asked if it worked if I could share it. This is posted over at Morgan's blog, but I am stealing it to post here as well.


Oh, and I did the math, and if I did it correctly with all my conversion, etc., this is ridiculously cheap!!! Like seven cents a load, y'all!! So, use a little extra if you like. On Morgan's blog there are pictures as well. I was not that nice to think of taking pictures of the process for you. You can sift through over there if you want pictures. :) I also added a splash of lavender essential oil to have the clothes smelling lavender-y. It was strong in the soap, but by the time I had dried the clothes I could just faintly smell it. From Morgan:

Supplies Needed:
1 bar Ivory soap, grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, but not baking soda)
(I found the washing soda at Fry's)
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Gallon Bucket
1 Quart Hot Water
Hot Water
Directions:
Mix grated soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. (This is where I added the lavender) Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Stir occasionally. Store it in milk jugs or empty laundry soap containers, give it a good shake then pour. 
Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load. Use the same amount in your front load washers as well. 
It will be chunky.

I had to convert the quarts and everything to cups for easier measurement for myself. 

Let me know if you try this!
Blessings,
R

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!