Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Potty training Day 1 of 3

Hi Y'all,

I am trying out the 3 day potty training method. So far day one has had about three successful trips to the bathroom and about 10 not successful accidents on the floor/bed.

I have to say it has been a bit tough for me having the two kiddos and trying this method. I feel extremely guilty not being able to pay nearly as much attention to my oldest. I have to tell you that I am so proud of her and that she has been a trooper. My Little Princess told me she was going to help me potty train her little brother and teach him 'how to go pee on the potty like a big boy.' I know she has gotten a bit bored, but she has been excellent, y'all. Such a proud mommy right here, right now.

On the other hand, Mr. Chaos has been living up to his name. One of the things is that we pretty much have to stick to indoor activities and he has been getting antsy. We usually go outside every day. He is having a hard time getting energy out and it is coming out a little sideways. I am trying to distract and re-direct, but this kid is stubborn (I have known that since early on). Hey, book author lady! My kid is stubborn and really wants those M&M rewards even when they are up out of sight and he just gets upset and no amount of distraction and re-direction works. This morning he seemed to be 'getting it.' Then things went to hades in a hand basket. We had naughty behavior which needed time out. Of course, the screaming-crying induced peeing in the corner. Now, I am supposed to rush him to the bathroom and sit him on the toilet and say, "Oh, no! You're Big Boys (that is what we call his underoos) are wet. Let's try to keep them dry and tell mommy when you have to go potty, ok?" To which he says, "Ok, Daddy (because everyone in our house is Daddy right now)." And then it was back to time out in another spot because that one had pee all over the place. But then that spot is not as effective because we usually do not do it there and then mommy is next to him cleaning up and then he did not get it all out so he is peeing again and again we rush to the potty and repeat.

Then, THEN, he is starting to be a wild man and I am re-directing and distracting and trying to get him to dance or play chase around the table and he picks up my ipod, very deliberately, and proceeds to throw it down on the tile. Now I am extremely upset by his behavior, and not just because this is not exactly a cheap piece technology, and I tell him in a raised voice that his behavior is unacceptable and to go to time out. Repeat the crying-screaming-peeing scenario above. I have to insert here: I rarely raise my voice and, even rarer still, full on yell at my kids--again I am pretty proud of that and I am not trying to brag just telling you what's up and that he knew mommy was NOT happy.

And the author recommends that I not let my frustration show when he has his 'accidents' and that he is indeed learning. Well, right now I am upset and things are broken and it has been a long emotional day and I am not sure if this is worth it. I have had zero help until about an hour ago. I knew this going in. I knew it would be tough and emotional for me. I did not realize how confusing this new thing would be for Mr. Little Man. He has had his share of emotion and not fully realizing what is going on (while being tired because nap time approached) has been a little stressful for him too.

I know we will be changing a lot of bedding tonight and that I probably will not have a ton of sleep. I feel a sense of foreboding about tomorrow. I am hoping and praying I am wrong. If this works and we make it through then it will be worth it. Right now I am having a hard time seeing the light at the end of this tunnel even though I know it is there.

Blessings on you in your journey,
R

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely compiled data. I have started reading this site. This is really worthy content and
    useful for every new language learner. Appreciation for this kind of important write-up! I got a completely fresh resource for Baby Potty Training and like to share with you all.Potty Training Problems

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!